Dr. Qamaruz Zaman Khan Yusufzai – 2009
|By Kazi Zulkader Siddiqui, Kit no. 671, Latif House
Dr. Qamaruz Zaman Khan Yusufzai was professor of English at Cadet College Petaro from 1967 to 1975.
He was born on 11 May 1936, and got married to Mrs. Bakhshul on 15 September 1965. They have two daughters – Lubna and Samina.
Qamaruz Zaman Sb obtained his MA (English) degree from Sindh University in 1960 with 1st Position. He got his second Masters degree in Psychology from Sindh University in 1963 with 2nd Position. In 1987, he obtained his Ph.D. degree in English from the Columbia Pacific University, California.
|While he was still a student at Sindh University, Qamar Sb had started his teaching career simultaneously. He was initially a Lecturer and then an Assistant Professor of English at the Govt. Colleges Hyderabad from 1959 to 1967, teaching Intermediate, BA, BSc and BCom classes.
In 1967, he joined Cadet College Petaro as teacher of English and remained in that position until 1975. While he was still employed by CCP, he was sent on deputation to Bedjaia in Algeria as a teacher of English for one year in 1971-1972 to teach “O” and “A” Level students.
During his days at Petaro, he was the Patron of the English Debating Society from 1970-1971. After 1973, being the senior most English teacher, he was appointed the Head of Department of English.
Upon leaving Petaro, he moved to Nigeria and was the Principal of the Govt. Technical College and Science Secondary School in Kano State from 1976 to 1982. He then returned to Pakistan and worked at Public School Hyderabad as an English language teacher for 9th to 12th classes from 1982 to 1987.
The Army Public School was established in Hyderabad in 1987 and Qamar Sb (who had just completed his PhD) was chosen as the Founder Principal. He remained in this position until 1990.
In 1994, he joined Islamia English School and Intermediate College Abu Dhabi, UAE as the Principal. This was an “O” and “A” Level and Intermediate college affiliated with the Federal Board in Islamabad.
He joined Newport University and Iqra Complex for Education in 1998 as Professor of English and Dean. He taught BBA English, CSS, TOEFL, MBA (Executive Level) and English Department classes.
in 2000, he was chosen as the Administrator of the Aisha Bawany Academy in Karachi and remained there until 2007. Since then, he has been Professor of English at the Federal Urdu University of Arts, Science and Technology in Karachi.
Qamar Sb has been a prolific writer and has published a number of books and articles. His publications include the following:
- “Shelley – A Literary-cum-Psychological Study“, PhD dissertation submitted to Columbia Pacific University, 1987
- “Harf-e-Hunar“, a collection of poems in Urdu, 1985
- “Nala-e-Gil“, a collection of longer poems in Urdu, 1989
- “Auraq-e-Lakht-e-Dil“, a collection of poems in Urdu, 2000
- “Christ, Mehdi and Anti-Christ” by Dr. Kassim Motala – translated by Dr. Qamaruz Zaman into Urdu, 1999
- “A Precious Gift” by Dr. Kassim Motala – translated into English by Dr. Qamaruz Zaman, 2001
- “Saeedul Bayan” by Shah Ahmed Saeed Farooqui, translated into English, easy Urdu and Sindhi by Dr. Qamaruz Zaman
- “Aap Bipta“, autobiography in a humorous style in Urdu, 2001
- “Anarkali“, a three act play by Imtiaz Ali Taj, translated into English by Dr. Qamaruz Zaman, 2008
- “Muhammad-ur-Rasulullah (pbuh)“, translated into Urdu by Dr. Qamaruz Zaman, 2004
- “Ghalib, a Literary-cum-Psychological Study“, in Urdu (under progress)
- “Meanings of the Qur’an” by (late) Dr. Ghulam Mustafa Khan, translation in progress
- “Passing Thoughts“, collection of social, political and literary articles and poems in English (under print)
- “Khayalat“, collection of poems, sketches, lectures and criticism in Urdu (under print)
- National Education Policy of 1992-1993 – was the Chief Architect in its preparation
- Electoral Reforms of 1992-1993 – participated in its preparation
- Police Reforms of 1992-1993 – participated in its preparation
- “Family of Heera Lal” by Pervez Lawrence, translated from Urdu to English
- “New Liberal City Development Program and Civil Society of Karachi’s point of view” by Arif Hassan, translated from English to Urdu